Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Day 2 along the Western Kentucky Parkway

It rained just as I was getting ready to sleep. The tent cot worked great and the rainfly did its job to keep out the rain.

I stayed in the tent until the rain stopped early this morning. I got out and everything looked fine. My biggest issue was when feeding the dogs, Sandy attacked Poochka. Sandy is very possessive over even just the smell of food. I tried to break it up by pulling them apart but they kept digging into each other. I picked them both up as a unit hoping to pull them apart but they were wet. In the soft grass, we all fell and I had to make sure I didn't crush any of their windpipes as I came down to the ground. So I caught myself on my knees then my forearms all the while they are still fighting.

So they are still fighting and my hands are slipping off their necks. I wrap my each arm around the neck of a dog basically doing a chicken wing thing trying to separate their jaws from the other's. Every time, I got close to separating them, Sandy would wiggle to get back at Poochka.

For what seems like minutes, but was only seconds, I finally get Poochka to pull away so I let her go concentrating my strength on Sandy. Sandy has lost her collar so I don't have much to hold on to. She wanting to get away and chase down Poochka but I was able to pin her to the ground and trying to lock her mouth closed without actually hurting her.

After Sandy calms down and Poochka is staying her distance, I get up on my knees still holding her to the ground and pick her up. I put her into her cage and realized I hurt my lower back and my fingertips in the skirmish. heavy mud is on both my pants legs. No injuries from the dogs directly but falling and digging my fingers into the gravel and mud caused some cuts that are bleeding. But after checking the dogs, no one is really hurt so I count my day as successful so far.