Friday, May 11, 2007

Heading to Virginia - Good Morning from Orange, Texas

Hello from the big metropolis of Orange, Texas. Well, maybe I should say its east of Beaumont, Texas by a few miles incase you can't see the dot on the map where Orange is.

Yesterday was a interesting day. I finally got started after noon by having lunch with Dad, Carolyn, and a friend of Carolyn's at this good mexican restaurant. I think the name of the restaurant was Mama Sita's. Maybe Carolyn will read this and correct my spelling. lol

But I still had to run a couple of errands and return stuff to Tractor Supply. Since I didn't have a receipt they only gave me a store credit. You're reading from a guy with several water bottles labeled "Tractor Supply". Of course, one can never have too many handy gadgets and got a thumb screwdriver. The screwdriver is pretty neat and for the guy (or gal) who has to have his (or her) gadgets.

So, where am I headed today? Well, 'm going back to Virginia to pack up my stuff in storage or whatever to save paying a lot of rent for a place I'm not at. But along the way, I hope to visit new friends, see old friends, see a couple more Cabella's and Bass Pro's, and see the countryside. Wow, I have a lot of goals for this trip, don't I?

As I headed out of San Marcos late yesterday, I realized I was headed towards Luling, Texas; home of the best barbecue around. Its a great place to eat. I can't remember the name, so Carolyn, help me out here. You walk in and the smell of wood smoke and slow-cooked meats hit you square in the face. You see some old timers, younger, and the youngest eating dinner from large pieces of butcher paper; not plates. I don't see any forks, only plastic knives. This place cooks brisket, ribs, and sausage. Everyone eats with their fingers. I would say most people sprinkle a little salt over everything. Forget free refills for the drinks. They sell bottles of root beer, Big Red, and other drinks. Of course, you can't eat barbecue without a Big Red.

Now, mind you, I'm not really hungry from eating lunch not two hours earlier but this is Luling, Texas and this is the best place to get barbecue. To leave drive through Luling without eating this barbecue is akin to breaking a commandment: #11 Shalt not leave Luling without eating barbecue from market! Yep, that's the way it is! :)

I'm only there for a 1/2 hour just to get a taste before I leave. Along wmy trip to Virginia I'm first hopping to outside of Houston to meet an online buddy named Yorkshire. Later on I discovered where his online nickname has come from. We were going to meet for lunch yesterday but he was called in for work and I had an idea that perhaps he could show me that seafood place he told me about after his work day.

I'm driving along enjoying my old MP3 player in the new MP3 player holder I made. Then out of the blue, and I didn't know this prior, was a billboard for a Bass Pro Outdoor World (Bass Pro). Wooo Hooo ... another store to explore! Of course, there isn't a doggone thing I need but does that really truly matter when you have another opportunity to visit Bass Pro (or Cabela's) - I say "No, it doesn't matter!" This Bass Pro is a small store and has been there for a few years. I noticed the sign out front didn't say what the other stores say. For instance in San Antonio, the banner reads "San Antonio's Favorite Outdoor Store" or something like that. But at this store (in Kyle, outside of Houston, Texas) the banner doesn't say the city's name; just "Favorite Outdoor Store". I walk in and asked the clerk why not the city name in the banner. I think he was shocked anyone noticed.

-------------
Present

I'm writing this entry while eating at Waffle House. But its about time to leave and get back on the road. Later on, I'll tell more about yesterday like meeting Yorkshire, a great fish place, the storm, a major wreck (not involving me) and the fact I drank way too much iced tea. Stay tuned!

-------------

To be continued .....